Fire Crews Respond to House Fire Set By Childen

Fire Crews Respond to House Fire Set By Childen Click to Enlarge

A fire in an upstairs bedroom caused heavy smoke damage to a Detroit Lakes townhome Monday afternoon. Detroit Lakes Fire Department was called to the scene at the Union Square Townhomes on the 400 block of Andrews Avenue just before 4:00pm.

Fire Chief Scott Flynn AUDIO

“…The mother came home and there's a fire upstairs in the bedroom that she started to extinguish with water and a fire extinguisher….”

Flynn says the fire was out by the time crews in four trucks had arrived. There was heavy smoke damage. He says the fire was started by a candle and a couple of children home at the time. The mother was checked out by EMS at the scene for smoke inhalation but no one was injured.

Leave a comment